Borrego Solar Project
Powering homes in San Diego
With our subsidiary Sunora Energy Solutions, we built the 26 MW Borrego Solar Project in San Diego County, Calif. Cost-competitive, renewable power generated by the facility is being sold to San Diego Gas & Electric under a 25-year power purchase agreement.
Sunora was responsible for all aspects the engineering, procurement and construction of this project.
At full capacity, the project generates enough power to meet the energy demands of approximately 20,800 homes. The project rests on 308 acres of privately owned land northeast of Borrego Springs, Calif.
The project provides the State of California with a new source of renewable energy to assist in achieving Renewable Portfolio Standards, while boosting the local economy, having created as many as 250 construction jobs. By generating clean energy and avoiding any of the emissions that would be produced by a fossil-fueled power plant, the facility contributes to cleaner air and result in a smaller carbon footprint for the state.
- Zero-carbon generation avoids the emission of 33,000 tons of carbon into the atmosphere, the equivalent of taking 6,000 cars off the road
- Created more than 250 construction jobs
- Commercially proven solar technology
- Reduced water consumption from previous land usage
- Efficient and environmentally friendly power generation
- Helps California meet goals
- View the project fact sheet (PDF)
- View the project press release (PDF)
- Cutting Ribbons: Phase 1 completion celebrated in Borrego
Project is owned by NRG Yield, which is majority-owned by NRG Energy.